I am 8 weeks old today and coincidentally I also have my 2-month pediatrics appointment scheduled with Dr. Lee. I am usually cool with check-ups but today's is not one I would look forward to because I heard that some sour drops and 3 big shots were waiting for me! On the contrary, both daddy and mommy have been looking forward to this visit as they really wanted to find out my growth progress. Over the past weeks, I even saw mommy diligently typing in her computer some questions about fussiness, rashes, refluxes, sleep-training, etc. Whatever those terms were, I just pray none of them would result in more shots for me. Ughhhhh...
The appointment started off with the usual routine of checking my weight, length and head circumference. Remember the "DIY measurements" we did last week? Well, turned out they were not that far off. And without further adieu, here is my growth chart and percentiles *drum rolls*:
Weight: 12 lbs 6 oz. (72.47%)
Length: 23.75 inches (83.35%)
Head Circumference: 39.75 cm (50.42%)
Daddy and mommy were both quite surprised by the jump I made in growth percentile as just a few weeks ago I was an average size baby with a slightly smaller head at ~25th percentile. After reading up the doctor's note, I overheard mommy jokingly described me as "A tall and fat kid with an average size head". Thanks mama!
After the routine came the not-so-exciting stuff... We walked across to the other side of the floor where I swear to God I heard nothing but screaming and crying. I sensed that something was not quite right so I started fussing a little bit. As mommy soothed and rocked me in her arms, the nurse called us in. I was first given some fruity flavored juice called "infant tylenol", then some sour drops for Rotavirus. I thought to myself that perhaps shots were not so bad afterall. But of course, that was before knowing what were to come next.
Then within seconds, I felt 3 big stings coming at both of my thighs. "Waaaaa", I cried. What on earth just happened? The nurse finished everything off so quickly that before daddy could clear up the stupid SD card for filming, it was all over. [In case you're wondering, that's also the reason why we do not have any video or picture of me getting the vaccines. Thanks daddy for not keeping records of the ordeal.]
It is only noon but it feels like such a long day already. Boy, I guess I need to catch some serious Z's after lunch. Laters.
Lucas A. Lum, 8w old