It's been 7 days since I was born which means I'm officially 1 week old now. Happy 1-week birthday to me! ;)
Speaking of birthdays, I forgot to wish mommy happy birthday yesterday as I had no idea when everybody's birthdays were yet. Sorry! She was staying home and did not celebrate much since she was still recovering and had to take care of me. But daddy promised to celebrate with her on another day once things settle in a little more. Daddy, please don't forget to add me to your RSVP.
Yesterday was also an important milestone for me as my 4th bilirubin test came back normal which means I am no longer at risk of newborn jaundice. To me, it means my poor ankles no longer need to be poked for blood, hurray! note: For those of you who do not know, bilirubin is an orange-yellow pigment in the blood and excessively high-levels of it in a newborn's blood (usually presented as jaundice) could cause damage to brain development.
My level at 30hrs postpartum was within normal range (9 mg/dL), though a bit on the high side. So to play safe, the doctors had me repeat the test several times the next few days to determine if any treatment, such as phototherapy, would be necessary. And luckily my results were all trending the right direction and yesterday's result came back well within normal range. The small traces of yellow on my face and eyes also gradually faded away as I got rid of the bilirubin through my poopies. Daddy and mommy were both relieved by the outcome. In fact, I owe them a big thank you (and sorry) since I had put them (especially daddy) through an endless diaper changing cycle these past couple of days. Sorry and thank you to both of you!
